It's a Birthday!

Please welcome the newest member of our little family. Elijah Clayton Conley was born at 7:11 am on Saturday March 16th. He weighed in at 8 lbs 4 oz and was 20 inches long.

This little man won us over with his first little cries and we are loving him more and more each day. For those of you who are interested in how it went down, the narrative is below the pictures.

Just after birth. Cleaning out his mouth and lungs.

First snuggles with his Mama

Showing off his little chin dimple

Just about the cutest thing I've ever seen

First family photo

Meeting Uncle Dan and Aunt Ashley for the first time

Proud Papa

Going home!


Lounging with his daddy

On Friday afternoon (the day after my due date) I started having contractions that were fairly regular but far apart and not at all painful. I hoped that this was the beginning of something but wasn't really sure. Josh's mom flew into town that evening so we picked her up and then went out to dinner. During dinner the contractions started coming a bit more frequently and were getting increasingly more uncomfortable but they were still not strong enough or close enough together to think about going to the hospital.

After dinner we went back to our apartment and sat around chatting until midnight. During this time I was trying to time the contractions and it seemed like they were coming every 5 minutes but I wasn't doing a great job of timing them, so I wasn't sure if they were actually regular at 5 minutes or if  I just wanted them to be regular.

We went to "bed" just after midnight and I had Josh time the contractions. We timed them for about half an hour and they were coming 3-4 minutes apart. We decided this was close enough and started getting ready to go to the hospital.

By 1:30 am we were at the hospital and they had us in triage to make sure that I was actually in labor and could be admitted. After being monitored for 40+ minutes a doctor came in to check dilation (I was at 4-5 centimeters) and said I was good to be admitted. Yay! Until this point my biggest fear was that they were going to say it was false labor and send me home. I was elated and relieved when they said I was in labor and we were going to have this baby.

I tested group B strep positive so they put me on penicillin as soon as they could get an IV in. The dose took about 30 minutes to administer and after that they said I could rest. At this point my contractions had abated a bit and were not quite as uncomfortable so I was able to rest for a little while but not long as they quickly picked up again. I started pacing around the room and it seemed that in no time at all the contractions were very intense and almost unbearable. I woke Josh up*(see note below) and told him that the nurse needed to come check me, and if I was not at least 7 cm then I was getting an epidural. He asked if I wanted to go in the tub first and I said no; the nurse needed to check me now. So Josh called the nurse and she said they normally check every 4 hours and it hadn't been 4 hours. She suggested that I get in the tub, and this time I agreed although I still wanted her to check me. She agreed when I said that I felt "pushy". I think we were all surprised that I was 8 cm. The nurse suggested that I get in the tub for 15 minutes and then I would probably be ready to have a baby.

The warm water really did help ease the pain. While in the tub the hardest part about the contractions was NOT pushing. By the time I got out of the tub the room was being converted into a delivery room. The nurse checked me and after one more contraction I was fully dilated. At this point my doctor came in and broke my water. The amniotic fluid was meconium stained so they brought a NICU unit into the room so Elijah could get his lungs cleaned out as soon as he was out.

Once the pushing commenced I lost all track of time. Josh says I was pushing for about an hour, but I have no idea. At one point Eli's heart rate dropped so they put me on oxygen between contractions. It must have helped because they took no further action. A few times Josh/the nurse said I could reach down and touch his head but I didn't want to do anything that could push him back in. (This is unreasonable, I know, but at this point reason was in low supply). After a few last pushes Eli made his debut. Josh had initially intended to cut the cord but since the NICU unit was there to clean out his lungs they needed to expedite the process. It didn't seem to take too long for them to get him cleaned up.

By the time my doctor had me taken care of me, the nurse brought Elijah over to me for some skin to skin snuggles. This was the most incredible experience of my life. It was hard to believe that this perfect little human was the same little alien that had been growing inside me for the past 40 weeks. I loved this little guy before he made an appearance, but having him in my arms was incredible.

Eli is now just over a week old and doing wonderfully. He eats and poops like a champ and he sleeps pretty well too. We sure love our little boy.

*Josh would have been up with me the entire time if I had let him. He dozed off while I was resting and I think he was a little upset with me that I didn't wake him when I started pacing around the room. I figured at least one of us should get a little sleep that night. He was amazing though. There is no way I could have done it without his support and encouragement. Seeing him hold our son for the first time was another moment that  I will never forget. My husband is amazing.

Love him!

Comments

  1. Congratulations. Love the written words. You made me smile and cry. What happy times for you. Sending our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful account. I'm so glad Becky got to be there! He looks more and more like the Gortons, better get some photos so you can see it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Karissa. Thank you for making this sacrifice for your beautiful little family and letting me share in the "moment". I promise you a life full of unexpected joy, there simply are no words to describe the journey through motherhood. You are and will always be amazing! Congratulations to all three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Thanks for sharing; I love hearing birth stories! I'm so glad it went well. He is so darling! Congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing story! Congratulations on the birth and health of your son Eli and for you! I pray you will be able to find enough time to rest while you enjoy many beautiful days ahead loving and getting to know your baby boy! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear such a great experience and story. Many more treasures and memories headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is so perfect! I can't wait to meet him (since this is such a great possibility with us moving to Washington), and it sounds like you had a wonderful experience. So happy for you and your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love him! What a journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six months, Baby!

To Give Sorrow Words