Lake 22 & Marten Lake

Two weeks ago was the end of the quarter at work. In FTI land that means crazy. My group (and most others too) are required to help get product out the door. This means I spend 8-10 hours of the week helping other departments and am sill required to keep up on my own work load. In addition to the extra work we get hounded  if anything of ours goes wrong or if the managers think anything could go wrong. It was a really lovely time. The one bright point was that I didn't have to work on Saturday. Until Friday afternoon we were being told Saturday would be mandatory but they let us off the hook.

Since I didn't have to work Josh and I decided to go on a hike to Lake 22. It was raining the whole way in and out but we still had a nice time. 

Just after arriving at the lake, nice and wet. 

The lake. It was still about 3/4 covered in ice. 

We weren't the only ones to make the hike in the rain. Two other guys were at the lake and they were nice enough to take a picture for us. 

Yesterday we decided to do another hike. This time we went to Marten Lake. The first 3 miles was pretty easy on a wide, fairly flat trail. Then we split from the main trail onto an unmaintainted footpath that is a bit more interesting. There are places where we couldn't really see the trail and there are places so steep that we were on all fours scrambling up the mountainside. We we tired by the time we got to the lake, but it was beautiful.

Marten Lake 

We caught one fish but forgot to take a picture of it. The Pants wants me to mention that it was GIGANTIC!  

Us

It was a beautiful lake but impossible to circumnavigate. Dense bushes and vegetation, many of which are extremely prickly, come right to the water's edge. Ever heard of Devil's Club? Let's just say you don't want to grab it if, say, you are falling and trying to grasp nearby vegetation in hopes of regaining your balance. It will not make the situation better.  

Josh is standing on the "trail" below me. I am about 4 steps and 10 vertical feet above him. Like I said, it was steep.

On a side note, we saw TWO snakes on the hike. I hate snakes. It was not nice.  The only down-side in an otherwise fantastic day.

Comments

  1. I love that you're checking out so many lakes and hikes around here. That's what I always imagined us doing but we've never gotten around to it. Marten Lake is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Birthday!

Six months, Baby!

To Give Sorrow Words